The Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) informs the public that it has issued a Joint Order (JO) to Altai Philippines Mining Corporation (APMC) on February 6, 2023 through Regional Offices of DENR, Mines and Geosciences Bureau, Environmental Management Bureau (EMB) in Region IV-B MIMAROPA regarding the illegal construction of causeway and other related activities.
The Joint Order reads as follows:
“WHEREFORE, this Office (DENR) hereby ORDERS the following:
1. Altai Philippines Mining Corporation (APMC) to CEASE AND DESIST the construction and operation of its causeway in Sitio Bato, Brgy. España, San Fernando, Romblon;
2. Ore Transport Permit No. OTP-APMC-162-001-2022-MIMAROPA issued to APMC is SUSPENDED, in view of the non-operation of its causeway;
3. APMC to STOP transporting ore from the contract site to the causeway;
4. APMC’s application for Miscellaneous Lease Agreement is DENIED for its violations of Commonwealth Act 141, as amended, otherwise known as the Public Land Act, and its related issuances;
5. PENRO Romblon to file appropriate legal actions, if warranted, on the reported cutting of trees without permit; and
6. PENRO Romblon to conduct investigation on the alleged damage / destruction of seagrass and other marine resources.
All these orders are IMMEDIATELY EXECUTORY upon receipt.”
It also ordered the DENR Provincial Environment and Natural Resources Office (PENRO) in the Province of Romblon to file appropriate legal actions against APMC if warranted, on the reported cutting of trees without permit and to conduct an investigation on the alleged damage to sea grass and other marine resources as a result of the construction of the causeway project.
Beginning February 1, 2023, the DENR Environmental Management Bureau in MIMAROPA issued Notices of Violation to APMC for violation of Section 4 of Presidential Decree No. 1586 or the Philippine Environmental Impact Statement System, Republic Act (RA) 6969 or the Toxic Substances and Hazardous and Nuclear Wastes Control Act of 1990, RA 9275 or the Philippine Clean Water Act of 2004, and Presidential Decree 705 for cutting trees without a permit.
The DENR firmly assures the public, especially the residents of Sibuyan Island, that the Department continues to strictly implement environmental laws in order to ensure the safety of the community and promote inclusive development in the Province of Romblon.###
- Published: 08 February 2023