Mission, Vision and Priority, Thrusts & Programs
Executive Order No. 192 dated June 10, 1987 – “Providing for the Reorganization of the Department of Environment, Energy and Natural Resources, Renaming it as the Department of Environment and Natural Resources, and for other Purposes”.
The Department shall be the primary government agency responsible for the conservation, management, development, and proper use of the country’s environment and natural resources, specifically forest and grazing lands, mineral resources, including those in reservation and watershed areas, and lands of the public domain, as well as the licensing and regulation of all natural resources as may be provided for by law in order to ensure equitable sharing of the benefits derived therefrom for the welfare of the present and future generations of Filipinos.
To accomplish this mandate, the Department shall be guided by the following objectives:
- Assure the availability and sustainability of the country's natural resources through judicious use and systematic restoration or replacement, whenever possible
- Increase the productivity of natural resources in order to meet the demands for forest, mineral, and land resources of a growing population;
- Enhance the contribution of natural resources for achieving national economic and social development;
- Promote equitable access to natural resources by the different sectors of the population; and
- Conserve specific terrestrial and marine areas representative of the Philippine natural and cultural heritage for present and future generations.
The DENR shall be the driving force in the pursuit of sustainable development, enabling stakeholders' participation in the protection, conservation, and management of the environment and natural resources for the present and future generations.
We envision "a nation enjoying and sustaining its natural resources and clean and healthy environment."
DENR is tasked to formulate and implement policies, guidelines, rules and regulations relating to environmental management and pollution prevention and control.
We formulate, implement and supervise the government's policies, plans and programs pertaining to the management, conservation, development, use and replenishment of the country's natural resources and ecological diversity.
Further, we promulgate and implement rules and regulations governing the exploration, development, extraction, disposition, and use of our forests, lands, minerals, wildlife and other natural resources.
The DENR thrusts and priorities are consistent with the President’s Social Contract with the Filipino people and supportive of the five (5) priority agenda of the President, that of: 1) anti-corruption/transparent, accountable and participatory governance; 2) poverty reduction and empowerment of the poor and vulnerable; 3) rapid, inclusive and sustained economic growth; 4) just and lasting peace and the rule of law; and 5) integrity of the environment and climate change.
In line with the above mentioned priority agenda, the DENR in the performance of its mandate under a regime of good environmental governance will continuously implement in FY 2013 the following major programs that would ably create high impact and provide for longer-term solutions to more pressing environmental issues and concerns:
DENR FY 2013 Major Programs (by Key Expenditure Program)
1. Anti-Corruption/Transparent, Accountable and Participatory Governance
• Database Management
• Land Records Management
• Cadastral Survey Program
• Land Disposition
2. Poverty Reduction and empowerment of the poor and vulnerable
• National Greening Program
• Patent Issuance
3. Rapid, Inclusive and Sustained Economic Growth
• Water Resources Management
• Water, Coastal, and Land Surveys (EEZ)
4. Just and Lasting Peace and the Rule of Law
• RP Extended Continental Shelf Delimitation Project
• Mapping and Remote Sensing
5. Integrity of the Environment and Climate Change
• National Greening Program
• Protected Area Management
• Biodiversity Conservation Project
• Coastal and Marine Resources Management
• Clean Air, Clean water, and Solid waste Program
• Implementation of Manila Bay Operational Plan-SC Decision-G.R.171947-48
• Geo-hazard Mapping
DENR FY 2013 Priority Programs/Activities (under the present administration)
1. National Greening Program for 300,000 hectares with 150 million seedlings
2. Settlement of unbooked obligations for debt service for the San Roque Multi-Purpose Project
3. Implementation and monitoring of PAMANA Program
4. Program Beneficiaries Development – Upland Reform Program Component of CARP
5. Implementation of the Operational Plan for Manila Bay, including monitoring of its water and clean-up operations
6. Provision for nine (9) telemetry stations
7. Identification and operationalization of additional nineteen (19) Water Quality Management Areas (WQMAs)
8. Provision of geo-hazard maps for 548 municipalities
9. Provision for the acquisition of two (2) units of 20-meter survey vessel
10. Provision for 3,400 mapsheets covering 5.4 million hectares of topographic maps using 1:10,000 scale
11. Provision for 1,606 mapsheets of coastal resources map
12. Provision for the Data Conversion Solutions
13. Development and implementation of Groundwater Management Plan (GMP)